Thursday, April 16, 2020

Vans Commercial Creative Critical Reflection

This is my commercial blog. Below, I attached the commercial in Google Slides and wrote the CCR. This was the first filming I did in AICE Media Studies. It was the shortest film I did, it was also the hardest to actually film and edit since it was my first film. It was difficult to reach the time because the constraint was so minimal. My group and I kept going over the time requirement. Besides that, it was the first time we all got to match and show off our product together. I enjoyed working with them. But, I did have a couple of other friends help me with some filming and editing. It’s amazing to see how far I came with my acting, filming and editing skills. I remember I had a huge interest and would be the first person to begin editing. Although it would go wrong at times, I found it fun and rewarding. Good thing I had experience from using video editing apps on my computer and phone before. However, I didn't enjoy the fact that this film took place at school. This is because I wasn’t outside of my comfort zone and I would prefer to go elsewhere. I am a very social person who gets along with just about everyone, so this type of project is my specialty. Honestly, working with my partners was great and I'm glad I got to three of my good friends . Ultimately, I believe our commercial came out well. It was hard work but fun nevertheless. Overall, I really enjoyed the beginning of my filming journey!

Below is the Creative Critical Reflection of my Vans Commercial



1. My product uses conventions in many ways. One way it uses conventions is when the characters all wear Vans clothing. This appears to the audience that the people wearing the product enjoy wearing it. Another convention I used was when one of the characters used Vans skateboard as the prop. The fact that the character knew how to skateboard and do tricks helped create the idea that people who skateboard would like and tend to wear Vans. Using the natural light and having a bright natural background makes the atmosphere seem calm. However, that convention of calmness is challenged when the main character falls down the stairs and declares, “I can’t do anything in these!”. My product represents all different social groups including races, ethnicities, and genders. This is showcased by having four different stereotypes: the runner, the skateboarder, and the model within the film. All these characters have different lifestyles, jobs, and roles but come together at the end of the film to help the character who fell down the stairs due to their worn-down shoes. The film embraces that not only can these stereotypical characters in Vans only be people who can wear this brand, but a runner, skateboarder, model, or anyone else can wear it. Ultimately, Vans is for everyone! The film does not discriminate, it evenly has male and female characters. My product represents the issue of having things that need to be replaced. The main character’s shoes that are old and worn-down to the point that you start to trip and fall, which is harmful. So, my product is advertising that you should buy new Vans shoes that are reliable for running, skateboarding, fashionable, and more.

2. My product engages with the audience in many ways. There is a cliffhanger in the opening scene where someone is falling down. The audience’s first reaction would be questioning if the person is okay and what they will do next. Unless they are people who find falling or getting injured humorous, then they would keep watching. Following this is a scene of someone running and skateboarding, which would catch someone’s eye if that is something they were interested in or enjoyed watching. During this, there is a voiceover who is speaking in a happy tone and is excited about talking about the company. One of the goals of this film is to make the audience feel engaged and together. The reason for this is to get the messages across that Vans are the best product for different activities, such as running, skateboarding, and modeling. I gave the company a good representation so that the audience will have thoughts of buying it. Although, “Vans” is already a popular brand and the audience will want to see how the company represents itself. The product is shown to the audience as reliable, comfortable, and trendy. There are many ways my product in this film can be disturbed as real media text. This film would be the type of film on any social media platforms. For instance, it could be a YouTube ad that targets people who like to run, skate, or model. It may also be on TV, between breaks of a show or movie. It would be your average commercial. Therefore, it would be distributed the same way any other commercial would.

3. This project helped me develop so many skills related to production. At the beginning of this project I did not know much about making a film, how to use a camera professionally, and how to edit. I had to research a lot about how the films are made and learn step by step the three main stages of production. Throughout the project I started to learn more, so my production skills developed. I have seen a great improvement in my production skills throughout the making of my film. We had to learn a lot of editing techniques to complete this project, such as voice overs, sound reduction, and background music cropping. Before starting this film, I knew only the basics of film production, but this project has forced me to increase my skills. In addition, I learned to work as a group and share my thoughts with my friends, be able to communicate, and gain some confidence when my ideas are being noticed and developed. As of a result, my group and I edited the film together and it advanced all our production skills. The more practice, the better we will get at our production skills. The more films we create throughout this class, the more advanced we will get at creating them.

 4. I integrated technologies, such as software, hardware, and online all throughout this project. The hardware I used was the camera to film the commercial. My whole group along with an outside friend were in the film advertising the product. One software I used was the school’s computer. On the computer, I used Pinnacle Studios to edit.  I transferred the footage from the camera to the computer and it also was what I used to edit the film into a 30 second film. Originally the amount of footage I recorded was about 5 minutes as the raw film. We recorded the same words for the voice over multiple times so when we edit, we would have options to choose from and we would be able to see what would fit in the film. Technology was a huge part in creating this film and if it wasn’t for having technology, I wouldn’t be able to have created this film. If I used the online program that was provided on my computer, then the process of creating this film would have taken a lot longer than using the school’s computers. It was important that I was able to use a camera instead of another option like the camera on my computer or phone. Filming on my phone would not have made the video as beautiful and crisp as it turned out to be. Filming on my computer would have caused many issues such as angles, use of shots, placement, etc. Even though my phone was not used for filming it had other purposes. One of these purposes was research. I researched the conventions and the editing techniques used in commercials to advertise the product more efficiently.  Then, I decided to use my phone to watch a vans commercial in order to look for eye-grabbing techniques Vans perform in order to make the advertising of their product more appealing to the audience. I also used my phone to keep in touch with my group and contact my teachers for any help. My personal laptop was another form of technology I utilized. I used my personal laptop to view Vans commercials on the laptop. The school computers were useful but were limited. The computers gave many problems such as speed. One example of this is when I was trying to edit a scene in my commercial and the computer took several minutes to edit the scene. Another problem I faced with the school computers was the crashing. For example, when I was trying to import several raw scenes into pinnacle studios, the computer shut down the pinnacle studios application and gave an error notification. Aside from the crashing and speed, the computers were very effective in helping create my film. Without all of these forms of technology, it would not have been as convenient to create the commercial.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment